Saturday, January 21, 2017

I FEEL EMPTY




I FEEL EMPTY


I yelled, I screamed
But alas all were just onlookers
I asked for help, pleaded for a hand
But alas all were just gaze lovers

Nothing did I do wrong
Nothing did I say wrong
Neither was my dress skimpy or small
Neither was I drunken or involved in a brawl

I was just another person walking on the street
 Rejoicing another day of my life having achieved some feat
I suppose my mistake was being all alone
Not depending on a male to bring me home

I need to just ask, would I have been spared if I had a man along
Weren’t there instances when even the men were beaten or bruised or even killed just to get on the woman they throng?
I never thought the beasts were left loose again
Searching for a prey if not for a rape but at least a grope

What is my society expecting from me?
Do I need to be always accompanied by a man?
Don’t I have the right to just walk alone?
Can’t I be all alone, be it day or night?

How much do I depend on my father and brother?
How much do I depend on my husband and son?
How much do I keep on cursing myself for being a woman?
How much do I tell myself that am incapable of moving alone?

Oh my girl, my forsaken breed in the human race,
 I think it’s irreverent to seek for help and seek a change
The people around us are the same and will remain the same
It is only we who can bring a change by becoming the change

Let us learn to defend ourselves
Let us equip to save ourselves
Let us be courageous 
Let us show our true self that is audacious

We need to become mentally and physically strong
In order to be able to tell these creatures what is right and what is wrong
Necessary it is to stop these things from happening
Change for a better living poised with grace duly embracing